Next to tourism, goat farming is another important source of income for Fuerteventura’s economy. In fact, there are more goats than people on the island! You can find goat farms with more than 1,000 animals, for instance along the FV-2 main road, just south of the exit to Gran Tarajal.
About 75% of the original population is Roman Catholic. The remaining 25% is not specifically religious.
The Canary Islands are an autonomous Spanish region.
Two cities alternatingly function as the capital of this comunidad autónoma: Santa Cruz de Tenerife and Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. An island council (cabildo insular) is responsible for the government of Fuerteventura. The main language on Fuerteventura is Spanish, just like on the rest of the Canary Islands.
Time seems to have stood still in some inland villages. In Betancuria, the former capital of Fuerteventura, but also in Pájara, Antigua and La Oliva, relics from olden days still stand tall: beautiful churches and palaces, granaries and windmills. In spite of their quaintness, these villages are still lively places; many residents remain loyal to their native soil and prefer commuting to their jobs in the touristy places rather than moving there and live in newly established residential areas.
Fuerteventura used to be a society consisting of farmers and fishermen. At that time, the island was the granary of the Canary Islands. Today, however, the fields are bare and neglected. Occasional remainders of aloe vera and cactuses bear witness to the large-scale production of raw materials for the cosmetics industry.
Nowadays the only significant agricultural activity on Fuerteventura is goat farming. The island harbours more than 100,000 goats. They produce milk for the majorero goat cheese, an important export product.